Google
Web Site
Dumbarton Oaks - A Pictorial Tour
(click on images)

the Pebble Garden), there is an open air theater, a feature of many great seventeenth- and eighteenth-century European gardens. The original property covered 53 acres. In 1940, the Blisses conveyed 16 acres of the property and buildings to Harvard University to establish the Dumbarton


Page 4 of 4

 

Oaks Research Library and Collection. At the same time, 27 acres were given to the National Park Service, most of which form Dumbarton Oaks Park (bordering the gardens on the north), and 10 acres were sold to the Danish government for their embassy complex. The formal gardens occupy 10 acres. The major work was completed between 1921 and 1941, although changes, notably the addition of the Pebble Garden and redesign of the Ellipse, continued to be made by Mrs. Bliss, working with Ruth Havey. Endowments were established expressly for the purpose of maintaining the gardens and for supporting a program of research in landscape architecture. A full-time crew of a dozen gardeners maintain the grounds.

Copyright © 1999-2015 Gardendesigner.com
All Rights Reserved